Download Free FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs • Premium Joomla 3 Templates BIGtheme.net
Home / News / Three suspected cases of measles reported last week

Three suspected cases of measles reported last week


Health officials have said that three suspected cases of measles were reported between 4 and 10 February and are under examination.

The suspected cases involve a boy and two girls, according to figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre.

Two of the children are aged under four and one is aged between five and nine.

One of the possible cases is in the east of the country and two are in the southeast.

A suspected case is where a test has been carried out and results are awaited.

Last week, a 48-year old man from Co Westmeath who contracted measles died in the Midland Regional Hospital Mullingar.

This is the only confirmed case of the viral illness this year.

This prompted a public alert, particularly to people who might have been exposed to the virus while he travelled on Bus Éireann Route 115 between Dublin and Mullingar between Tuesday 30 January and Monday 5 February or who may have eaten in a particular restaurant in Mullingar.

In the week between 28 January and 3 February, nine suspected measles cases were reported in children.

All of the cases were also aged nine or younger.

Eight were deemed not to be measles after swab analysis in a laboratory, while the ninth suspected case remains under examination.

Additional reporting Fergal O’Brien


Source link

Check Also

China launching anti-dumping probe into EU pork imports

China says it has launched an anti-dumping investigation into imports of pork and pork by-products …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *